Friday, July 1, 2011

Play of Consciousness: A Spiritual Autobiography



Review by Danitra on Amazon.com
This book is about the experience of meditation through yoga. I read this book when I was 13 and some of the concepts were a little advanced for me at that time. Nonetheless, this book helped me to understand some experiences I had with meditation when I was young.

I was raised with Siddha Yoga. Growing up, there was no place I felt safer than I did at the Siddha Yoga Ashram. For me it has been and always will be home. My spiritual journey extends beyond the confines of Siddha Yoga, but my spiritual awareness and love for God was nurtured and developed through Baba and Gurumayi's teachings, guidance, and love. I use their teachings daily.

There is concern with truth or falsity of the Guru only when the seeker is looking for someone to worship rather than for a path of growth and spiritual development. I have learned a lot from people who weren't "Gurus". The word guru means to bring from darkness "gu" into light "ru". In this sense, we are surrounded by gurus all the time. All we have to do is seek them out, and they appear.

It is Baba and Gurumayi who have taught me to search for the diamonds within the coals. When I am not in the right state of mind, I remember this simple teaching, and then I am surrounded by diamonds instead of black coals.

In reading this book, find the diamonds and pearls in Baba's words and take them with you. Then you will feel rich and you will not be disappointed.

I would also like to add that Siddha Yoga is not for everyone. The teaching of Siddha Yoga is that "God dwells within you as you". The teaching of Siddha Yoga is NOT "The Guru is your God". I have never heard Gurumayi suggest we be dependent solely on the Guru. I have on the other hand heard Gurumayi say that the Light of God dwells within us. A teacher deserves respect - whatever, or whomever that teacher may be. Yoga will reflect your state of mind, and it is not always easy or comforting to see our own reflection. But seeing is necessary for growth. Co-dependency and obsessive behaviors may surface for some, but it is not the fault of Siddha Yoga, and should be taken up with a therapist.

No comments:

Post a Comment